IBDS Mobile Application
Segue Technologies® developed the Inova Blood Donor mobile app to improve blood donation levels by making it easy to participate in blood drives.
About the Client
Inova Blood Donor Services (IBDS) supplies lifesaving blood and blood products to twenty four different hospitals in Northern Virginia and the Washington, DC, metro area. IBDS supports the Inova not-for-profit healthcare system which serves more than 2 million people each year. In addition, they work with national and international redistribution organizations to get blood where it's needed most.
The growing population in Northern Virginia and Washington DC is creating an increasing demand on IBDS for blood and blood products, just as it is in many other areas across the US. At the same time, blood donations are decreasing, which has had a negative impact on the available blood supply. IBDS needs to collect 200 units of blood per day just to maintain inventory. To support their mission of providing and safe and adequate blood supply for patients, IBDS needed a way to increase the number and frequency of blood donations.
Segue Technologies® developed the Inova Blood Donor mobile app to improve blood donation levels by making it easy to participate in blood drives. The app increases IBDS capabilities to interact with donors, enabling them to more easily find blood drives and make donations. It also enables users to more easily be notified of their eligibility to donate without requiring a phone call, which is intrusive, or a post card, which is frequently ignored. Additionally, the mobile application allows donors to learn more about IBDS and interact with them through social media. This also acts as a social media catalyst, enabling donors to spread the word about donation needs and upcoming drives. Highlights of the solution include:
- iOS and Android versions of the application, built using native development tools and implementing a custom design
- Blood drive locations displayed on a map or list, with multiple options to search and filter by current location, distance, and date
- Blood drive details including: location, address, contact information, and schedule, with the ability to call or email to schedule an appointment with one tap
- Generating driving directions via a native map application to blood drive donation locations
- Transfer to the IBDS web-based blood donor appointment management system
- Recording recent donations and calendar and email reminders when eligible or future donations
- Optional Social Sharing of a donation via Twitter, email, or text message with friends and family
- View About IBDS information, view a real-time feed of IBDS news, and connect with IBDS via social media including Twitter and Facebook
- Google Analytics for Mobile with customer opt-out to collect aggregated information to include feature usage (screen views and events) and mobile device types